Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Favorite Books from Childhood

Every holiday season we get requests for recommendations for books to give as gifts to children. Many people will probably hit the stores for copies of Inheritance by Christopher Paolini for teens or The Invention of Hugo Cabret or Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick or Cabin Fever (Diary of a Wimpy Kid #6) by Jeff Kinney. In an earlier post, I blogged about some of my personal favorites for illustrated children's picture books. This led me to thinking back about some of my favorite books that I received as gifts growing up. We'd love to hear from you. What are some of the books you received as a child that you particularly enjoyed?

The Visit by Joan Esley, illustrated by Eloise Wilkin
This was my favorite picture book as a child, which is unfortunately now out of print. This young girl pictured above, Abigail, visits her great-aunt Lavinia. She's nervous about the visit until she gets to play with her great-grandmother's toys and clothes, and makes a special new friend. I loved the illustrations as a little girl.


No comments: