Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Today at Storytime

I had the pleasure of presenting a dinosaur-themed Toddler Storytime today at the library. It was a lively, fun group. We especially had a great time pretending to be pterodactyls as we listened to the music of "Sleeping Pterodactyls" by Kathy Reid-Naiman.

I shared these books at storytime:
How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? by Jane Yolen, illustrated by Mark Teague
One of my favorite dinosaur-themed books for young children. Should dinosaurs stick beans up their nose? Toss their spaghetti into the air? No, in this book we all learn good dinosaur mealtime manners!

Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs by Byron Barton
I used a big book version of this book by Byron Barton. I've long been a fan of his simple, colorful, bold images for storytime with toddlers.

Dinosaur's Binkit by Sandra Boynton
This is a smallish board book, but a delight to use in storytime. I wish it came in a larger version for bigger crowds. Rest assured, dinosaur finally finds his blanket in time for bed.

Dinosaurs Galore! A Roaring Pop-Up by Paul & Henrietta Stickland
What's not to love about bright, colorful pop-up dinosaurs? This book also introduces new vocabulary and the concept of opposites.

A Number of Dinosaurs: a Pop-Up Counting Book by Paul & Henrietta Stickland
Paul and Henrietta Stickland do such a wonderful job with their dinosaur-themed pop-up books that I couldn't resist sharing another one with the crowd. On each page, as another dinosaur is added, the image(including the size of the number) becomes larger and larger. The children loved the last page.

I also shared a rhyme I altered from the traditional "Two Little Blackbirds" rhyme to fit our dinosaur theme. I created two stick puppets to use with our rhyme:
Two Little Dinosaurs
Two little dinosaurs sitting on a hill
One named Jack and one named Jill
Go away, Jack! (stomp, stomp, stomp)
Go away, Jill! (stomp, stomp, stomp)
Come back, Jack! (stomp, stomp, stomp)
Come back, Jill! (stomp, stomp, stomp)

I also made these flannel pieces for using with Nancy Stewart's song "Dinosaurs in Cars".



No comments: